Wednesday 5 February 2014

How Does Your Garden Grow?

Bananas in their early stages.
 These past few months we have been backyard gardening...something that I never thought we would have been able to do, but after googling, researching, and speaking to gardening experts, we realized that it was in fact possible.

Backyard gardening is a fulfilling hobby that we are so glad that we got into. I won't jump up and say that it hasn't had it shares of ups and downs, but I would say that it has taught us so much about the environment, our personal temperaments (LOL!), and life in general.

Trial and error has taught me the patience of gardening and its soothing attributes.  I can not even explain how proud we are when we see the seeds and transplants that we have watered sprout green. (I'm literally dancing around the house singing "YAY!!!! It didn't die!!!!)

It has given me an added boost of confidence and now I'm looking forward to trying new things...it also liberates me by giving me options...

Green Onions!
We don't know how long we are going to be in our present location, but while we are there, we are learning more about the fruits and vegetables that we have planted and are maintaining.  Some of the plants have already produced, but we are looking forward to tasting our very own sweet potatoes (I'm thinking fried, mashed, and baked...twice-baked even...lol).

I can't even begin to explain how good it feels to look up and see my hubby and son in the garden doing their own thing...even better is watching my son pick cherry tomatoes straight of the vine and pop them like candy.


Cherry Tomatoes
I can't wait to start producing more fruits and vegetables on a larger scale...I want to be able to produce enough food to assist with a healthier alternative in a small neighborhood.  I feel that every child should have the opportunity to put their hands in soil and experience growing their own fruits and vegetables.

I'm looking forward to sharing seeds and stories this year!

Hands up in happiness, heart full of hope,

xoxo Jenna


1 comment: