Monday 3 February 2014

Update: RESEARCH!!!

I want to take this time to say thank you for visiting my blog!

There is so much that I want to share with you, and so I'm doing lots of research! ( I LOVE it!) Until I get all of that cultural research done, I'm going to be sharing my day to day 'doings' with you :-)

The more I study, the more I realize how our Bahamian culture is infused with components from Africa and our neighboring Caribbean brothers and sisters. It is amazing! 

I can't wait to break down our dialect, cooking, and overall culture with you guys (I'm learning as I go along, so this will be a journey for all of us).  There is so much that I want to personally try, and as a matter of fact, I've been given the opportunity to learn some Bahamian dishes...now, I CAN cook, but there is NOTHING like spending time in the kitchen with a master!

I am also visiting our archives, and trying to put together my maternal family tree...I'm trying to go as far back as I can because I basically have my paternal side down (they were Loyalists who came to The Bahamas from America seeking to stay loyal to the British crown).  My mother's side of the tree is a bit trickier because it includes freed men, France, and a Cherokee wife, as well as migration to The Bahamas somewhere along the line...lol.

So far, I can say that I have found a link to the 1920's and I'm drafting my letter to the Diocese of that district so that I can possibly get further information via church records.

I can't wait to share all that I can with you guys...this is going to be an interesting journey, and it would be awesome to have you along for the ride!

Hands up in anticipation, heart full of expectation

xoxo Jenna



1 comment: