Friday 7 February 2014

Is it Over Yet?!


This week has been rough! (and I want you to know that I said that as dramatically as I can – and KNOW that I CAN get VERY dramatic!!!)

I was holding off on telling you guys about my weekend – I was savoring every moment, and I was being very selfish about it because it was all I had to carry me through this week :-(  But anyway….guilt trip aside…I thoroughly enjoyed my weekend! 

 I spent some time at the Kiwanis Club of Fort Montague’s ‘Jazz in the Gardens’ event.   Like I mentioned in a previous post (that I am too lazy to give a link to…I think it was last week Friday’s) I was asked to minister in spoken word.  The atmosphere was such a relaxed one and the patrons were receptive.

I have never met a more involved civic group – they truly go beyond their comfort zones to ensure that they make a positive impact on society.  Their theme: ‘Making a Difference by Being a Difference in a Child’s Life’ resonates with a maturity that we should all have with regard to our upcoming generation.  I feel that if we implement a ‘nurture over nature’ attitude in just one life, then we can impact a whole nation…simply imagine what can be done, when a civic group positively affects hundreds of school students, reaches out to young men and women that no one else wants to, and feeds spirits as well as stomachs?!

I salute the Kiwanis Club of Fort Montague for a job well done, and for showing me that they are truly ‘being the change’ that Ghandi has urged us all to be.

I then visited the ‘Total You Purpose Conference’, which was held at the British Colonial Hilton and was
blown away by the information that I received.  With speakers such as Dr. Wayne Thompson of Relationship Management, I left the conference with a second wind.

A positive change truly begins with a mindset change.  I walked away with a better understanding of relational ethics (Bahamians are in a league of their own when it comes to interaction!), financial stability, and personal responsibility.

I should have known it was all a set up! I shall reiterate that I had a beautiful weekend:  I managed to get a bit of rest, was able to refocus, do a bit of editing, and even had the opportunity to fellowship with two congregations PLUS even though I didn’t get to watch the Superbowl COMMERCIALS (Yes, I confess, it’s rare that I watch the actual game), I got some Superbowl FOOD!!! (I just want to take this moment to thank the daughters of Pastor Dixon for such incredible food!!!! I didn’t know that you could infuse seafood into scalloped potatoes like that!!!! I didn’t realize I was a foodie until I was introduced to Long Island cooking – I must visit you guys during one of these holidays! Pastor Dixon – I’m looking forward to all the seafood I can eat!!!!) 

Yes you guys! I had a beautiful weekend! It felt like a bit of the weekend trickled into Monday, but, it was MONDAY after all – what could you really expect? I was already disappointed that the weekend was over, the sidekick started exhibiting a bit of his symptoms…again, but I knew that we REALLY needed to get out of the house - so I went to visit one of my favorite aunties :-) (she was only here for a few days and we had a mini photo session, so I was excited!)  

 It felt so good to spend time with her and reminisce…and I honestly think that if it wasn’t for the time I spent with her and the encouragement, inspiration, and motivation that I received over the weekend I would have exploded by Tuesday when all the negative energy seemed to have magnetically pulled in my direction…but HEY! ‘Hello Monday’ is back! I got to watch the first episode of the new season on Tuesday (lol) and I got a little bit of added oomph to pull me through to Friday!!!! God is, indeed, awe-inspiring!

I’m so thankful because when I look back at the week, I realize that it has made me stronger.  He loved me enough to give me everything I needed to get through the week at the very beginning of it.  I will not pretend that I didn’t feel crushed or depressed, but I know for a fact that I was not destroyed!
So here I am, at the end of another week and a very long blog post (…lol) asking you to be grateful for the little things, and to smile as often as you can - even if it hurts.  I know for a fact that everything is going to be alright.  I survived!!!!

What’s happening next week? Well…I am visiting 'SPEAK!' on Monday with Pen & Tongue to minister in spoken word at their ‘season premiere’, and later on in the week, I spend Valentine’s Day and the remainder of the week at Grace Evangelical Ministries Women’s Conference (I’m ministering in spoken word there also)…I MAY be missing in action for a few days because HELLO, it IS Valentine’s week, and I’m married, and I feel that Valentine’s Day IS for married people (I never celebrated it before marriage...I may explain in a blog post a bit later this week…) But yeah…I’m looking forward to ‘shipping’ my son somewhere for a day or two and spending some REAL quality time with the hubby…Lord knows we haven’t had ‘Us Time’ in a long time….(yet another blog post that I must get to because for some awkward reason I love posting ALL of my business on a blog for the world to read!!! LOL)

…by the way! Shout out to Trinidad and Tobago!!! I see you!!! Thank you for reading my blog! I am honored that you visited! To my Caribbean Massive!!!! I love you guys! Shout outs to the U.S. of A also, for all the love that you have been sending my way! :-) I truly appreciate it! And dear Bahamas…thank you for opening my eyes to the possibilities of sharing OUR culture and my heart to the world.  I bleed aquamarine, gold, and black!

Enjoy your weekend!

Hands up in resilience, heart full of determination,

xoxo Jenna

1 comment: