Friday 10 January 2014

Rediscovering Home

Confession:  I envy the tourists that stroll nonchalantly on Bay Street, rent scooters to discover the island with only a map, and lounge lazily on our beautiful sandy beaches...while 'native me' pushes forward with my hustle...YES! I said it!!!

It amazes me how I live where people vacation and I rarely enjoy the amenities that drew them here in the first place!  Just last year, I designated 'beach days' so that I could pull away from the hustle and bustle of island life (I'm serious!!!) and this year, I've decided to 'play tourist' at home.

The Game Plan: I intend to visit as many historical and recreational sites that I can this year, and I figure that if I start with New Providence I will be well on my way...soooo I've started writing out a list of the places I want to go and will eventually designate dates for family visits.


Clifton Heritage Park  - a historical site that is perfect for birdwatching, this park holds breathtaking views that you must see to believe.  I had the opportunity to visit once (assisting with a photo shoot) and I am looking forward to spending a well-planned out day there. They offer guided tours, and urge you to enjoy nature through hikes, snorkeling, fishing, camping and so much more!



Ardastra Gardens, Zoo, & Conservation Center - Home of the Marching Flamingos!!! I have visited here twice already, and I love this place! The Caribbean Flamingo, Bahama Parrot, and the Bahamian Boa Constrictor are among the endangered animals that you can find here.  It is well worth the visit and I look forward to becoming a member so that I can assist with their preservation program.

Pirates of Nassau - Let's face it - The Bahamas made pirates cool before Pirates of The Caribbean, and I can't wait to jump on board the "Revenge" with my son! I'm going to try my hand at pirate speak  and "Yo Ho Ho" with the best of them!

The Botanical Gardens - I have visited these gardens once. Briefly. (and OBVIOUSLY without my camera)...I look forward to visiting this year with my family.  An international food festival is held here every year, and we have not attended that either...maybe this year we will venture out and enjoy some cultural cuisine.

I am also looking forward to visiting these  historic sites, which include the Queen's Staircase, Christ Church Cathedral, and the Water Tower.

The islands of The Bahamas are filled with history and culture, and I realize that it's going to take me quite a bit of time to visit (and revisit) the places on my list.  So...I'm pulling out the biggest straw hat that I can find, and trading my flip flops for sneakers as I rediscover home! :-)


Hands lifted in hope, heart filled with adventure,
xoxo Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment