Friday 10 January 2014

Upcycling Emergency

I am not a fashionista. I repeat: I AM NOT A FASHIONISTA...I'm the type of girl who just wants to be comfortable.  I don't believe in 'fashion' or 'style'...I simply believe that you should be yourself when going out.

(Now that THAT is cleared up...lol)

 I had an art event to attend and NOTHING to wear...no accessories, my shoes seemed blah, and nothing was working! So..I decided to upcycle :-)

 I define 'upcycling' as 'recycling an item that you do not use (or rarely used) and re-purposing it into  something that you will - giving it another life, so to speak. It's a soothing hobby for me because I love to create things and I'm always up to the challenge of doing so...

I pulled out a pair of black sandals, with manageable heels (I told you, I'm no fashionista), prepped my paintbrushes and acrylics, gathered beads from my favorite necklace (that I never got around to re-stranding) and got to work.

I wish I had taken before pictures, but there was no time - I literally upcyled my accessories in 45 mins. to an hour (painting took up a majority of my time). And then, I wish I took BETTER pictures of these items...(In all my excitement I pulled out my camera phone and snapped myself giddy)

Results:


Heels painted with acrylic paints.  I LOVE abstract designs and I call this "Walking on Sunshine".


 My FAVORITE necklace (I cried when it fell apart) created a cute pair of earrings and a bracelet (which I wear with almost EVERYTHING)
And here I am :-) Excited and ready to enjoy my evening.  My 'Tree of Life' necklace, which was created by Latoya of Latoya's Loft is another go to item in my jewelry box.  It reminds me of the importance of family and grounding yourself.

The art event was a hit, by the way!


Hands lifted in thankfulness, heart filled with inspiration,
xoxo Jenna

No comments:

Post a Comment